Friday, 2 September 2016

Butterick B6167 version 2!

As many seamstresses do, I had a feeling that I really wanted to make myself a new dress. I also didn't want to put too much thinking and effort into this new dress. So I reached for a pattern I had previously made, Butterick B6167. I know from the previous time I made this dress, that the gathered bust section was a little on the small side on me and finished only part way down my bust, despite using the D cup pattern pieces. So, for this version, I cut the bust pieces with approx 1 inch extra along the bottom and each side, then took the same amount off the bodice pieces. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph the process, but it is pretty simple if you have the pattern. I also shortened the bodice by about 1/2 inch, but honestly, could have taken a bit more off.

John Kaldor Fabric I purchased for $2

The construction was really quite simple, and as per the pattern instructions, with one major difference. I did not put any boning in my dress, as I made this to just be a comfortable, throw-on-and-go dress, so I didn't want the extra structure from any boning. I also added side seam pockets, because I add pockets to everything, as pockets are awesome. The dress came together very, very quickly this time around. I began working on it when I got home from work around 2pm (including going through my patterns and fabric to decide what I wanted to make, as this was not planned ahead) and I had it finished by the time I went to bed around 11pm (including some time for dinner and a shower in there as well)

Bust detail

Mannequin Shot

While I was not organised enough to get nice photos of this dress at the time, and now it is raining quite heavily, here are some snaps from the changing room at the Salvos Store. You can see the bust on this version fits much better, and as such, even though I didn't add any extra coverage to the neckline, I don't feel like my bust is going to fall out of this one as much as the first one.

I'm really happy how this dress turned out, and I really love this pattern, so I think I may make more versions of it in the future. I have some adorable kitty border print fabric that I think will look amazing made up with this pattern.

As luck would have it, this dress also fits perfectly into this month's Social Sew at Allie J! The theme this month is Tried and True, and this pattern is certainly a tried and true pattern for me.

While Op-shopping wearing this dress, I picked up 2 adorable woven baskets for $2 each to use as handbags during the summer months, as well as a zip front corselette for $5 in my size! I'm not sure if the elastic will hold up for too many wearings, but if it doesn't, I will take it apart to use for a pattern.



  1. What a beautiful fabric + dress combination. It turned out really well. And that is a pretty fancy dress for one you didn't want to put much effort into!

    1. Thanks you! It was very quick, because I'd sewn it before. Keeping in mind, my other patterns I was looking at making up would have involved grading up to my size, and I just couldn't have been bothered doing that!

  2. I LOVE that fabric! So fresh! Those baskets/bags are adorable and will be such perfect spring/summer bags, great find.

    1. I know, I wish I could find more of this fabric! I've already been using one of the basket bags, and it fits a surprising amount of stuff in it :)